These are so easy to make and you can get very creative with the toppings that you use on them. They are also a good way to use up leftover beans that you may have sitting around. You can also use leftover mashed potatoes in place of the beans. Or add a little cooked meat too.
The kids can help by spreading out the beans and topping their own tostadas.
Easy Bean Tostadas
- 10-20 corn tortillas or use baked tostadas or nacho chips
- 1-2 c. cooked beans (you can use canned beans try this Refried Beans recipe , if you like)
- 1 t ground cumin
- ¼ tsp salt
- crumbled ground beef, cooked
- shredded chicken breast, cooked
- salsa, optional
- 1 bunch romaine lettuce, chopped
- avocado, diced, optional
- hot sauce, to taste
- shredded cheese
- sour cream or use 0% Greek yogurt
Fry the corn in oil until lightly browned and crispy. (Omit this step if using baked chips or shells.)
Drain on a paper towel-lined plate. (I usually sprinkle mine with a little salt after frying, but that is optional.)
Smash the beans, rinse beans first if using canned beans, and add cumin and salt.
Mix to combine.
Heat in the microwave for 1 minute or warm on the stovetop. (You could also use this recipe for Refried Beans.)
Top the tortillas with a spoonful of beans and spread. Top with desired toppings.
Serve with rice and a salad to complete the meal.