The kids love strawberries, cool whip, and cake so this recipe is always a winner. The colors are so pretty that it makes it a special treat perfect for Valentine’s Day too. Continue reading “Strawberry Cream Cake”
(original recipe link)
•1 package (17.3 oz; 2 sheets) frozen puff pastry, thawed (I had enough filling to do 2 packages of puff pastry.)
•3/4 c. strawberry preserves
•1/2 c. cream cheese, room temperature
•1 egg, separated
•4 T. powdered sugar
•1 T. water
•2-3 t. sugar
•1/4 t. vanilla extract
•1 pinch salt
1.Preheat oven to 400º F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
2. In a large bowl or mixer, beat cream cheese with vanilla extract, 3 tablespoons powdered sugar, egg yolk, and salt. Beat until smooth.
3.Dust remaining powdered sugar over the work surface and unfold puff pastry sheets.
4. Cut pastry along the creased lines and then evenly cut pastry strips into small squares or rectangles. (Note: I cut each sheet into 12 squares.)
5. Place strawberry preserves in a small glass or bowl and whisk until relaxed and loosened.
6. Take 1-2 teaspoons cream cheese filling and place it in the middle of the pastry square. Top cream cheese with 1 teaspoon strawberry preserves.
7. Take another piece of puff pastry and place it on top of filled puff pastry. Seal the edges and use a small knife to cut 2 small vents into the top of strudel to allow steam to escape.
8. Beat egg yolk and water in a small bowl and brush it over mini strudels. Sprinkle sugar over strudels, transfer to baking sheet and place in oven.
9.Bake for 17-19 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and let cool 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from All Food Recipes
Here is a video that shows how to assemble these.
December 6th is St. Nicholas Day. It happened to fall on a Tuesday which is normally our French Toast day but the kids loved this extra special treat. Below are the instructions for how I assembled these today. These did take a little extra time but the look on their faces was well worth it!
These would also work well for Christmas morning! Continue reading “Santa Pancakes”