We’ve been experimenting with sourdough recipes for a while now and this one has been a favorite of ours. It’s super easy to make but does have a bit of time required for rising so we usually start these the evening before we need them.
You can mix them by hand, use a stand mixer with a dough hook, or even mix them up in your breadmaker… we’ve tried them each way and they all turn out great. I like to put the dough in the oven for its long rise… be sure to leave the light on for it to keep it comfy!
These work great for breakfast sandwiches, mini pizzas, or with a bit of butter and jelly… yum!
This recipe may look a little tricky but once you made it a time a two you could probably do it in your sleep! If you don’t have a sourdough starter you can find tons of easy recipes online to start your own or you can buy some starter like we did HERE.** (Yes, that’s an affiliate link but it won’t cost you a penny more to use it.)
Homemade Sourdough English Muffins
- 1/2 c. active sourdough starter
- 1 T. sugar or honey (we prefer to use local honey but that’s not really necessary)
- 1 c. milk (I haven’t tried using milk kefir but it would probably work as well)
- 1 t. salt
- 3 c. all-purpose flour (may need a little more or less depending on the climate)
- a bit of cornmeal of flour for dusting