I’ve had these things for a couple of years now and I know I’ve posted about them before but I just now got around to actually getting the project done. I believe these belonged to Mr. Awesome’s granny at some point but I remember seeing similar ones during my childhood so I was happy to have them passed on to me.
I’ve really been struggling with the never ending list of things that need to get done and the projects that have been piling up. Some of them just have to wait until we have time/money to tackle them but I’ve been trying to knock out some smaller ones here and there.
Instead of focusing on the things that can’t be completed because of a lack of funds/supplies I tried to change my mindset to find things I could complete with what we have on hand already. God has blessed us so much and the least I can do is try to be grateful for all the things He has provided us with and be a good example for my kids. They are always looking for reasons not to do things so this was a perfect example of how we could use things we already had to tackle a project that needed completed.
It’s taken me about a month because I’ve only did a little bit here and there. The spoon needed some repairs as a big chunk was missing from the end and the stuff I tried the first time didn’t do the trick. I had to wait to find some wood filler to try again and the first try wasn’t great. I didn’t give up and the second try turned out better.
Mr. Awesome said I could’ve used some Bondo? but I didn’t have any and he didn’t know where his was so I just went with the wood filler.
I had to sand quite a bit because my second attempt was really ugly but I got it to an acceptable place where I was happy… these aren’t going to be used for anything other than decor and I don’t think anyone will notice the slight imperfections.
I lightly sanded the entire surface and then gave them a quick cleaning before taking them outside to paint them.
I had planned on using some chalk paint that I had leftover from the kitchen makeover but I was unmotivated (too lazy) to go out to the shed to find it so I spray painted them with some pint we had in the house. It took several coats to get them evenly covered and the paint didn’t want to stick to the ‘totem’ areas… I have no idea what the carvings were but they reminded me of a totem pole.
I let them dry overnight and then proceeded to distress them a bit. I didn’t worry too much about the ‘totem’ areas as I had something else planned for them.
This next part was probably the most tedious as it felt like it took forever to wrap the twine around the handles. I wrapped some masking tape around the handles first to help ‘fill in’ some of the many dips in the handles on the ‘totem’ part.
Then I wrapped and wrapped and wrapped until I had them covered in a way that I was happy with. I probably should’ve pulled out the hot glue gun or spray adhesive to help secure the twine but I didn’t… I may regret that decision later but for now I’m ok with it.
Then I hung them back where they had been although they may get moved in the future. I might also try to find a little bit of greenery to tuck in the handles as well but I think they are kinda cute!
I think we did pretty good and I was able to show the kids that we can find ways to do things without needing special supplies. We can also break projects down into smaller chunks so that we can complete them a little at a time.
This was the inspiration picture I had found many moons ago:
I also used some of this same twine on this basket that was passed down to me from my mom-mom. It’s currently being used as our mending basket and I love seeing it out as it reminds me of my mom-mom.