I love mushrooms of every kind and I am always trying to add them to so many dishes because of their amazing health benefits. This is one of my favorite mushroom recipes.
I don’t like that you don’t use all of the mushrooms and a whole pepper but those can be frozen and used later.
Stuffed Mushrooms with Dipping Sauce
- 20-24 fresh whole mushrooms
- 3 T. butter
- 2 T. finely chopped onion
- 2 T. finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 c. crushed crackers (ritz kind)
- 2 T. parmesan cheese
- 1/2 t. Italian Seasoning
- shredded Mozzarella for tops
- 6 slices of cooked and crumbled bacon or bacon bits (optional)
- 1/4 c. mayo
- 1 T. dijon mustard or horseradish
- 1 T. chopped fresh parsley or parsley flakes
Combine the dipping sauce ingredients together.
Cover and chill in the fridge until ready to use.
Preheat the oven to 400.
Carefully remove the stems from the mushrooms.
Chop enough stems to make 1/4 cup. (You can save the others to throw in soups, stews, or when cooking some hamburger meat.)
Melt the butter in a skillet and add the chopped mushroom stems, onion, and pepper.
Cook until tender.
Remove from heat and stir in the cracker crumbs, parmesan, and Italian seasoning.
Spoon this mixture into the mushroom caps.
Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and bacon bits.
Bake 15-20 minutes.
Serve HOT with or without the dipping sauce.