We love Mashed Potatoes but every now and then I make these potatoes which are just a little bit extra special and delicious! I love how leaving the skins on makes these so pretty and it provides a little bit of the unexpected.
Ultimate Mashed Potatoes
- 18-24 red potatoes, washed, rinsed, and quartered – leave the skins on
- 1/2 – 1 whole stick of butter or margarine
- 1/4 c. sour cream
- 1/4 c. milk, maybe a little more
- salt and pepper to taste – We really like to use garlic salt
- 1 onion, sliced thinly
- 2 T. butter
- 1 T. parsley flakes (optional)
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (optional)
Boil the potatoes in a large pot for 20-30 minutes until fork tender.
While the potatoes are cooking you can saute the onions in the butter until lightly brown and caramelized, set to the side.
Drain the potatoes and put them back into the pot or into a large mixing bowl.
Mash the potatoes with a hand masher or mixer.
Add the butter and stir.
Gently stir in the sour cream.
Add milk until the potatoes reach the desired consistency.
Stir in the onions, bacon crumbles, and parsley flakes.
Season to taste.