What is it about this meal that everyone loves? I think my kids love it because they can make a mess while eating it. I love this recipe because I can sneak veggies in and they never know! This recipe is so much healthier than the kind you find in a can.
Just blend up the frozen veggies or chop them really fine before adding to the meat. I also like to make a couple of batches of this to put in the freezer for an easy mess.
- 2-3 lbs ground meat (hamburger, turkey, venison or whatever you have)
- 1 onion, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 bell pepper, finely chopped (optional)
- 2-3 stalks celery, finely chopped (optional)
- 1/2 c. frozen okra, finely chopped (optional)
- 1/2 c. mushrooms, finely chopped (optional)
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 3/4 c. water
- 3-4 T. yellow mustard
- 1 t. salt (we like to use mineral salt or Lawry’s garlic salt)
- 1/2 t. garlic powder, it not using garlic salt
- 1 t. chili powder or Creole seasoning
- 1 T. sugar (I have been using Stevia or Monkfruit in place of the sugar)
- a sprinkle of Turmeric, (optional)
- 2 T. nutritional yeast, (optional)
- sliced cheese, (optional)
Brown the meat in a large skillet and drain, if needed.
Add the veggies to the meat in the skillet and saute until tender.
Add the remaining ingredients, other than the sliced cheese and buns, stirring well.
Cover and simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
Add the remaining ingredients, stir well, and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
Serve on buns with cheese, if desired.
**This post does contain affiliate links to products and/or services that we use. If you happen to click through a link and make a purchase we may earn a teensy-weensy small commission (at NO EXTRA cost to you) if a purchase is made through these links. These links help to support our family, our blog, and our homeschooling mission. This means that we can keep bringing you great recipes, ideas, and tips for FREE! Click HERE for a full disclaimer.