We had some of this at a dance the other night and Ms. Shirley was kind enough to share her recipe with me. There are many different things you can add to this to make it ‘yours’ and I’ve included some add-ins at the bottom of the recipe. You can also heat this on the stove instead of a crockpot.
Ms. Shirley’s Hot Apple Cider
- 6-8 c. apple cider
- 1/4 – 1/2 c. Mrs. Butterworth’s syrup
- 2 cinnamon sticks
Place all ingredients in a large crockpot and heat until warm.
I love the hot apple cider that they serve at the Biltmore Estate in NC. You can add in a couple of these or just one or two to spice up your cider a little bit.
- use real maple syrup instead of Mrs. Butterworth’s syrup
- use 1/4 c. brown sugar in place of syrup
- 1/2 c. orange juice
- 2 t. cinnamon instead of cinnamon sticks
- 4-6 cloves or 1-2 t. ground cloves
- 1/4-1/2 t. allspice
- a pinch of nutmeg
- a pinch of salt