This is the cheese ball recipe that I’ve been looking for… thankfully my Holiday Binder was still in the house and not packed away in the shed. My Holiday Binder has folders for every major holiday and party that we have celebrated and the recipes that we use for those events… such a timesaver! Kids can help with this too!
This can be made ahead of time and put in the freezer for up to a month. Just wrap the cheese ball tightly in plastic, before covering with nuts, and place in the freezer. Allow it to thaw completely in the fridge before covering with nuts and serving.
Party Cheese Ball
- 2-8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 T. Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 pkg. onion soup mix – or:
- 1 t. dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 t. garlic powder
- 1/2 t. dried oregano leaves
- dash black pepper
- dash of tabasco or cayenne
- 2 c. cheddar cheese, shredded – freshly shredded is best!
- 1/3 c. blue cheese, (optional, but so good)
- 2-3 green onions sliced thinly, (optional)
- 2 c. chopped pecans, almonds, or walnut (optional)
Blend the first four ingredients together.
Add in the cheeses and green onions.
Cover the mixture and chill until it is firm enough to mold into a ball.
Spread the chopped nuts on a sheet of wax paper.
Form the mixture into one large ball, two smaller balls, or into miniature balls.
Roll each ball in the nuts until well coated. If making ahead wait until ready to serve to coat with nuts!
Wrap in plastic and chill for several hours or overnight.
Remove from the fridge about an hour before serving.
Serve with your favorite crackers, vegetables, mini bagels, pretzels, or pita bread.
Mini pretzel sticks can be stuck into each mini ball as a handy server!)
- roll the ball in bacon bits instead of nuts
- add a little green onion to the nuts for rolling
- Ranch/Bacon Cheese Ball:
- add in 3 T. sour cream, 1 pack of dry ranch mix, use 1 c. of sharp cheddar and 1/2 c. pepper jack cheese, 1 thinly sliced green onion, and about 3 slices of cooked and crumbled bacon for the cheese ball.
- use 1/4 c. cheddar cheese, 4 slices cooked and crumbled bacon, 1 thinly sliced green onion, 1 t. poppy seeds, and 2/3 c. chopped nuts to roll.
- use dry Italian dressing mix in place of the onion soup mix
- add 1/4 – 1/2 c. chopped jalapeno for a little heat
- add 1/4 c. of chopped nuts to the cheese ball mixture
- omit the onion soup mix and roll the cheese ball in craisins or raisins
- add 1/4 c. chopped ham, salami, or other meat to the cheese ball mixture.
- add 1/4 c. freshly chopped parsley to the outside coating
- Chipped Beef Cheese Ball:
- omit the onion soup mix, shredded cheeses, tabasco sauce, and nuts.
- add about 1/2 to 1 c. of chopped chipped beef
- cover with 1/2 – 1/4 c. of chopped chipped beef.
- Dried Fruit Cheese Ball
- omit the onion soup mix, seasonings, shredded cheeses, tabasco sauce, and onions.
- use 1/2 c. shredded cheddar, 1/4 c. honey, and 1 1/2 c. chopped dried fruit to add to the cheese ball mixture.
- Roll in nuts