I just love Facebook, don’t you? I would NEVER know about anything going on around me if it weren’t for social media… well, I’d know a lot less because I usually have friends who can keep me informed of important happenings as I don’t like to watch the TV.
I would probably not learn about many things though and some of them might be a good thing to not know about but the article I read this morning was something I definitely wanted to be aware of. There has been a confirmed case of Legionnaires’ disease in a city near us. I might now have found out about the toxic baby food either if it weren’t for FB.
After doing a little research I am feeling much better about the whole situation although I am still praying for the person(s) affected by it. I am thanking GOD that we were able to buy our Berkey system earlier this year as this is one more thing we can worry a little less about! Our Berkey will definitely be making the move to our new house with us.
You can read more about the history of Legionnaires’ disease and its name HERE.
According to the CDC:
[Legionella bacteria can cause a serious type of pneumonia (lung infection) called Legionnaires’ disease. The bacteria can also cause a less serious illness called Pontiac fever.]
It can cause pneumonia-like symptoms such as:
- shortness of breath
- muscle aches
Symptoms usually show up 2-10 days after exposure to the bacteria but can take longer for symptoms to emerge.
According to the CDC, the bacteria is found naturally in freshwater but can also be found in places such as:
- Showerheads and sink faucets
- Cooling towers (structures that contain water and a fan as part of centralized air cooling systems for building or industrial processes)
- Hot tubs that aren’t drained after each use
- Decorative fountains and water features
- Hot water tanks and heaters
- Large plumbing systems
It can then be spread by breathing in droplets of water or my aspirating contaminated water. I’m so thankful that I didn’t use the hot tub at the hotel this weekend because my mind would be going crazy right now!
Certain people are more at risk of getting sick from bacteria like those who are:
- elderly (50+)
- Smokers (current and past)
- Anyone with a chronic lung condition (COPD/emphysema)
- Anyone with a weakened immune system or other underlying illness.
If you think you may have been exposed to this bacteria it is extremely important to contact your doctor or the local health department and to let them know where you may have come into contact with this bacteria.
In order to be treated, you must be diagnosed by a medical professional. A diagnosis is usually done through a urine test or by taking a sample of phlegm from the lung.
Treatment usually requires a hospital stay and antibiotics to clear the infection. Most healthy people will recover but there is a 1 in 10 chance of dying from this infection. There is also a chance for other serious complications like lung failure.
There are no vaccines that can be used to prevent an infection from this bacteria so we must rely on water management to keep our water safe. The CDC has created a toolkit to help reduce the spread and growth of this bacteria.
What does a Berkey Water Filter actually remove?
This information was taken from this page HERE.
[Berkey Water Filters can remove:
- Fluoride – Removed to greater than 99.9%.
- Viruses – Removed to greater than 99.9%.
- Pathogenic Bacteria – Removed to greater than 99.9%.
- Lead – Removed to greater than 99.9%.
- Arsenic – Removed to greater than 99.9%.
- Iron – Removed to greater than 99.9%.
- Mercury – Removed to greater than 99.9%.
- Chlorine – Removed to greater than 99.9%.
- Trihalomethane(THMs) – Removed to greater than 99.8%.
- Bisphenol-A – Removed to greater than 99.9%.
- Chloramines – Removed to greater than 99.9%.
- Pharmaceuticals – Removed to greater than 99.5%.
- Petroleum Contaminants – Removed to greater than 99.9%.
- Methylcyclohexane-methane – Removed to greater than 99.9%.
- Pesticides – Removed to greater than 99.9%.
- Heavy Metals – Removed to greater than 99.1%.
- Coliform and e-Coli – Removed to greater than 99.9%.
- Atrazine – Removed to greater than 99.9%.
- Uranium – Removed to greater than 97.0%.
- Gross Alpha emitters – Removed to greater than 98.7%.]
Pretty impressive, huh? As a Berkey customer, I have a bit of peace of mind knowing that 99.9999% of all pathogens have been removed from my family’s drinking water. This makes me feel better about the safety of my family but I do worry about the safety of everyone around me.
The taste of Berkey filtered water is something I can’t quite describe either but it is as close to the taste of a fresh mountain spring as I have found. Having this around for emergencies has been such a BLESSING as well.
If I could afford to buy everyone their very own Berkey I would… but I can help with a small discount.
What’s stopping you from getting your Berkey?
**This post does contain affiliate links to products and/or services that we use. If you happen to click through a link and make a purchase we may earn a teensy-weensy small commission (at NO EXTRA cost to you) if a purchase is made through these links. These links help to support our family, our blog, and our homeschooling mission. This means that we can keep bringing you great recipes, ideas, and tips for FREE! Click HERE for a full disclaimer.