This recipe just happened to come about as Mr. Awesome decided he wanted to start eating healthier. I had already done my grocery shopping for the week so I just decided to tweak a few recipes to make them a bit healthier. I needed a name for this and he said it was a ‘manly meatloaf’ so that’s what we’ll call it from now on. It has also earned a repeating spot on our meal planning calendar.
- 3 lb ground beef, ground turkey, or a mixture of ground beef and turkey/pork
- 3 1/2 c. oatmeal (or 14 packs of the instant oatmeal)
- 1-1/2 c. buttermilk (or add 1 T. vinegar to regular milk)
- 4 eggs
- 2 t. salt
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1-2 c. veggies, chopped (I used the California blend veggies and some baby spinach from Walmart this time but you could use just about anything you like.)
- 1-2 c. shredded cheese, optional
- nutritional yeast, optional
Preheat oven to 350.
Lightly grease a 13 x 9 pan or 2-5×9 inch loaf pans.
Mix remaining ingredients and put them into the pan(s).
Top with shredded cheese, if desired.
Sprinkle with nutritional yeast before or after baking, if desired.
Bake 45 minutes or until juices run clear.
**This post does contain affiliate links to products and/or services that we use. We may earn a teensy-weensy small commission (at NO EXTRA cost to you) if a purchase is made through these links. These links help to support our family, our blog, and our homeschooling mission.