**Although I try to provide as many FREE resources as possible this post may contain affiliate links alt no extra cost to you. We may earn a small commission, if a purchase is made through these links, which helps to support our blog and our family. Thank you!
We Start every morning off with our prayers and the Pledge of Allegiance. Below is a picture of the prayers that we say and a video of the Pledge of Allegiance.
Not the prettiest example but that’s what we’ve been using for the past few years.
After this we have our calendar time also where we go over such things as the Days of the Week, the months, and some basic math.
This one came from Lakeshore Learning.
Tip: If you want to go to a certain week/chapter or topic simply push the ‘ctrl’ and the ‘F’ button down together and a small bar will pop up. Type in the week number or chapter number you want and it will take you to it.
Week 3: Chapters 5, 6 & 7 (Sundays, Two Big Bears, and The Sugar Snow)
Here is our lesson plan for the week:
Read Chapters 5, 6, & 7
- You can read it or let the kids help to read it aloud.
- You can also access an audio version:
- How did they take a bath?
- What special event happened in this Chapter?
- What could they do on the Sabbath?
- What could they not do on the Sabbath?
- What time of year was it?
- Why did Pa need to go to town?
- What happened to Ma and Laura while Pa was gone?
- What happened to him on his journey?
- What did Pa bring back?
- What did Pa bring back from Grandpa’s house?
- What did they use it for?
- What was special about the ‘Sugar Snow’?
Each child would complete a reading lesson from our McGuffey Primer Books or other reading materials that we chose for the day.
- Little House In The Big Woods Chapter 5 Vocabulary Word
- Little House In The Big Woods Chapters 6 and 7 Vocabulary
Parents click HERE for the answer key.**see instructions at the top of the page.
- Make a poster of The Lord’s Prayer and work on memorizing it.
Choose one prompt below:
- Write a favorite memory of your grandma or grandpa.
- Make a Christmas menu and grocery list.
- Write a report about tree sap.
*Remember to use the thesaurus to come up with different words.
- Read When the Earth Wakes. What changes do you notice as the seasons change?
- Old Mother Hubbard activity from Mother Goose Phonics.
You can work on a lesson in your Ray’s Arithmetic Books or other math workbook. (The lessons below reflect what we worked on.)
Rotate through these activities:
- Math Bingo
- Math Games
- Flash Cards
Click HERE to check for updates.
- Review what you’ve learned so far.
- Check out Fractions on Khan Academy.
- Fraction Word Problems Worksheet 1
- Working on learning numbers 1-10.
1. State Study
- This week we will study New Hampshire .
- Complete your notebooking pages.
- Older kids can write a report about the state.
2. Research School in Pioneer Days.
- Discuss what you learned.
- How do the schools differ from our schools now?
- Make a Venn Diagram to compare the differences and similarities.
3. Continue researching Louis Pasteur for a Speech.
- Watch this video:
- Take notes about what you learned.
1. Study the Digestion system.
- Watch a video and older kids can do some independent research.
- Discuss what you learned. How does our body get rid of toxins?
- Complete an activity. **
- We used the Human Body Activity Tub from Lakeshore Learning for activities and Independent Learning.
- Digestion Post Swallow, Swallow p. 72 Easy Make & Learn Projects: Human Body
- Worksheets, Color Pages, and Activities
- A Trip Through the Digestive System (Apologia A & P) Warning: This is a little GROSS!
- Bonus points for watching this video on the Heimlich Maneuver.
2. Research Maple Trees
- Describe how to identify a Maple Tree.
3. Research about collecting maple syrup.
- Discuss what you have learned.
- Write out the process for making Maple Syrup. Use this Sequencing Worksheet.
- Bonus: Draw a picture to go with your project.
1. Research Pioneer Children’s School Lunch
- Check out this link HERE for more information.
- Discuss what you learned.
- How does this compare to your normal lunch?
Watch this fun video about school lunches:
Check out these interesting ways to use Maple Syrup:
2. Ways to help around the house like Laura
For God is not the author of confusion, but peace… Let all things be done decently and in order. — 1 Corinthians 14:33,40
God wants us to do a good job every time we do something no matter how little or how big of a task it is.
- Setting the table
- It is important to set the table properly each time so each person has what they need for their meal.
– Read ‘Six Table Manners.’ p. 24 in Uncommon Courtesy For Kids: A Training Manual For Everyone
– Read ‘Seven Rules for Going to Church.’ p. 30 in Uncommon Courtesy For Kids: A Training Manual For Everyone
- Practice good table manners
- Make a list of good table manners to use at your home.
- Check out this fun activity: Table Setting Paper Craft
4. Memory Verse
- Work on memorizing a verse during the week for a special prize.
- He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm. — Proverbs 13:20
- He who seeks good finds goodwill, but evil comes to him who searches for it. — Proverbs 11: 27
5. Fun Activities
- Make a pancake man for breakfast using this recipe.
- Make Molasses Candy see p.192 in The Little House Cookbook
- Make a clove apple (These make great gifts.)
What is a bonus benefit of the clove apple?
- Make pancakes and use real maple syrup.
- Discuss what you learned.
6. Bonus Skills — Choose one or two to work on
- Practice these until you finish this unit study and then we will move on to another new skill.
- Memorize the books of the Bible:
- Learn about archery
- Learn about baking
1. What Happens When You Don’t Bathe?
- Discuss what happens when you don’t shower.
- Discuss how it could impact your relationships.
How to Take a Shower- a pilot video in a relationship series
- Write out the steps to taking a shower **
2. Happy, Healthy Kids: Fresh Air
- Discuss how Laura must have felt when she couldn’t go outside.
- Discuss the benefits of fresh air.
- Go outside and do something fun for 30 minutes!
3. Games/Outdoor Play
- Play Sunday p. 145 of The Ultimate Homeschool Physical Education Game Book by Guy Bailey
- Play ‘Hot Potato’. Click here if you need instructions.
- Play ‘Pop Goes The Weasel’. Click here if you need instructions.