Coconut is one of my favorite flavors and I’ve been severely deprived lately. That changed over the 4th of July week though when I made this delicious pie. I didn’t pay attention and made too much filling … Oops! This recipe should be just enough for an 8 or 9-inch pie though.
I have been ‘cheating’ and using the store-bought pie crusts from the dairy section but nobody has complained yet. You could also use a graham cracker crust or one of the vanilla crumb crusts I’ve seen at some stores.
Nanny’s No Bake Coconut Cream Pie
- 1 3-4 oz package of instant vanilla pudding
- 1 1/2 c. milk
- 1 t. coconut extract, optional but makes it taste better
- 1 tub of whipped topping, thawed (you can use half for the filling and half for top, if desired.)
- 3/4 c. sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 pie crust, baked and cooled or try Super Simple Graham Cracker Crust
Take about 1/4 c. of coconut and spread it on a cookie sheet.
Place under the broiler on low for 2-5 minutes until lightly toasted. (Keep a careful eye on so it doesn’t burn.)
In a large bowl mix the pudding and milk together.
Stir in the coconut extract, if using.
Fold in half container of whipped topping and the remaining, untoasted coconut. (You can use the whole container if you don’t want any on the top.)
Pour the pudding mixture into the pie shell.
Top with the remaining whipped topping, if desired.
Sprinkle the top of the pie with the toasted coconut.
Chill until ready to serve.