**Please note this post does contain affiliate links to which I may, possibly, earn a small commission from if you click on and purchase an item. For full disclosure click here.
You may be wondering just what the heck Diatomaceous Earth is and what is used for. Well Diatomaceous Earth or (DE) is a fine powder made up of tiny fossilized plankton. It has a variety of uses that range from cleaners, health and beauty products, pest control, etc.
It is also very rich in silica which is needed for healthy teeth, skin, nails, hair, and bones. We have used it here in our home for a wide range of issues. Most recently we have used it in our Natural Facial Scrub/Mask. I try to make sure to buy the Food Grade kind as I know we will be using them in so many ways.
Reseachers have found all kinds of health benefits to DE like:
- Boosts immune system. You can find all kinds of information by doing a search on Diatomaceous Earth Detox. DE can help to flush out toxins and possibly parasites from your digestive system. You should carefully work your way up on adding this to your diet to minimize and adverse reactions. Most sites recommend starting with 1 t. of DE to 8 oz. water to start with. Then work your way up to 1 T. towards the end of the week. You may also notice some flu like symptoms as your body detoxes.
- Boosts weight loss and burns fat. You can add essential oils to DE to help boost your metabolism and increase energy levels. It has also been shown to reduce food cravings.
- Reduce pain from arthritis and other joint issues. DE can be used to help repair cartilage and ligaments. This can also be used with various essential oils to provide even more relief.
- DE is effective as an odor control method. You can use it almost anywhere in the house from the cat litter box to those smelly shoes. You can even use this to make your own deodorant.
- Teeth whitener. Why pay those high prices for those fancy treatments when you can use DE to whiten and brighten your smile in your own home? You can simply sprinkle it right on your toothbrush with your regular toothpaste to get the benefits. (You may want to do this only once or twice a week as DE is a mild abrasive.)
- Face Scrubs and Masks. You can find my recipe here. This is very effective when combined with different oils. DE is a gentle exfoliant and will leave your skin feeling smooth and soft.
- Toxic to many pests. The fine particles will attach to the exoskeleton of many common pests and will eventually dehydrate them and kill them. You can also add essential oils to the DE to make it even more effective.
- Household cleaner. The DE combined with essential oils can be a more natural alternative to some of those harsh chemicals that we use to clean around the house.
- Stain Remover. Yep, you can even use it in the laundry room. DE can be sprinkled on those oily stains to help soak up the oil.
I’m sure that you could find many more uses on the internet like using DE to get rid of pinworms, fleas, and ticks. There are also many different recipes for using DE in and around your home.
Please note that these uses have not been evaluated by the FDA and you should always talk to your doctor before trying anything new.
Care should always be taken not to inhale the particles as they can be damaging to the lungs.