I have been doing a lot of grocery shopping at Walmart just because it is so close to me. Normally I really dislike Walmart and if there was another grocery store closer to me then I’d probably go there but right now Walmart it is.
I happened to pass by the deli section and found these rotisserie chickens marked down to $2.01! I’m not sure what they normally sell for but I grabbed two of them. One Traditional and one Lemon Pepper. I had also snagged a package of mini croissants on the markdown cart for less than $3.00.
Today I used the traditional chicken to make Super Easy Chicken Salad croissants. I served these with some cherry tomatoes on the side for a quick lunch.
Here is the recipe:
Super Easy Rotisserie Chicken Salad
- 1 cooked rotisserie chicken (or use 2-3 cooked chicken breasts), shredded
- 1/3 c. mayo
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 stalks celery (optional)
- 1 boiled egg, chopped (optional)
- 2-3 T. Pickle relish (optional)
- onion, chopped (optional)
- raisins, chopped apples, chopped nuts or whatever other add-ins you might like (optional)
Mix everything together in a bowl. Season to taste. Enjoy on a bed of lettuce, in a croissant, or on toast.
It was so simple and so good! You could use whatever seasoned chicken you prefer.
This is just one example of a quick, easy, and delicious meal that you can make on a budget. I spent less than $8.00 for the meal and it fed myself and 6 kids.