My mom-mom always made the best kraut. I can remember helping her and tasting it straight out of the crock. These are fond memories for me. I’d love to learn to make it the way she did one day.
I love kraut and sausage but my kids haven’t developed the taste for it yet, I have faith that they will though, eventually. We eat this only once or twice a year for now but if they do decide that they like it we will probably have it more often.
Slow Cooker Kraut & Sausage
- 1- 20 oz can sauerkraut (or used the bagged kraut available in some stores)
- 1 1/2 pounds of smoked sausage or bratwurst
- 1 onion, sliced (you can also try thinly sliced apples for a sweeter version)
- 1/2 c. chicken broth or white wine
- 1/3 c. brown sugar (optional if you like it a little sweeter)
- salt and pepper to taste
Place everything in the crockpot, except for the salt and pepper. Cook on high for 1-2 hours and then reduce to low for 2-3 hours. Add more water and/or broth, if needed, during cooking. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
This can be served with or without buns.