This is a family favorite and we have it almost every Thanksgiving for the past few years. It has been requested this year for Christmas as well. I have also tried out making them in cupcake pans for individual servings and they turned out great.
Luscious Four-Layer Pumpkin Cake (link to the original post)
Luscious Four-Layer Pumpkin Cake
- 1 package yellow cake mix
- 1-15 ounce can pumpkin, divided (use 1 cup canned pumpkin for the cake, the remainder will be for the filling)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 8-ounce tub Cool Whip, thawed
- 1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping or try Homemade Caramel Sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, optional
Heat oven to 350.
Beat all cake ingredients together in a large bowl with mixer until well blended. Pour into two greased and floured 9 inch round cake pans.
Bake for 28 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool cakes in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks; cool completely.
Beat cream cheese in mixer bowl until creamy, add sugar, remaining pumpkin, and spice; mix well.
Gently stir in Cool Whip.
Slice each cake layer horizontally in half with serrated knife; stack on a serving plate, spreading cream cheese filling between layers.
Do not frost the top layer.
Drizzle with caramel topping just before serving; top with nuts, if desired.
Refrigerate any leftovers.