This one is a hit at my house. It does take a little extra time and it costs a bit more than our normal meals so I only make it about once every 3 months or so.
Here is a link for a crockpot version that I haven’t tried but probably will the next time this pops up on my schedule.
Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches
- 1 1/2 – 2 pounds beef tenderloin, thinly sliced and tenderized
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 slices provolone or mozzarella cheese
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 c sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 6 hoagie rolls, split
In a skillet, heat 1 T of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and bell peppers and cook till soft and browned. Remove from skillet and set aside.
Next in the same skillet heat 1 T of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook till soft and browned. Remove from skillet and set aside.
Heat the remaining olive oil over medium-high heat and add the thinly sliced meat. Cook meat in batches so the meat gets evenly browned. Salt and pepper to taste and when finished cooking, sprinkle with garlic powder.
Place a roll on your plate, add the hot meat, the cooked onions, peppers and/or mushrooms and top with a slice of cheese while still hot and serve.